Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Shackles

Several days ago, on my way to get lunch, as I was pulling away from a stop sign, I saw the strangest thing. A man was walking towards me on the sidewalk, with something draped around his neck. " What in the world?" I wondered. " EWWW, A Big SNAKE?!!" I thought. But, as I got closer to him, I realized it was a chain, that he had around his neck. Not just any old chain mind you, but a GIGANTIC CHAIN; Not one of ordinary size, such as you would see attached to a pick up truck trying to pull another truck out of a ditch; This was the BIGGEST chain I had ever seen!! He had this chain wrapped around his neck many, many times, and then he was carrying in his hands, the remaining portions that were too small to wrap. One could tell by looking at him, that the weight of the chain was extremely heavy, yet there he trugded along, wearily, as if this was his burden to carry for life. My first inclination was, "OH MY GOODNESS!" As I thought out loud, ,"MAN!! Put that CHAIN down!!What in the world are you doing carrying that thing for?!!... Then I looked around, at all the other people milling around. They were just walking along, as if it were a normal thing, to see someone walking down the street with a HUGE chain draped around their neck!! I thought , "What has the world come to?!!" This is definately not NORMAL PEOPLE!!! " As I studied his face once more, I saw the anguish in his eyes, as he bore this heavy burden alone. Then it occurred to me, his chains are exactly how Satan wants us to bear the guilt of our sin. If he can get us to wrap ourselves up in guilt and shame, and carry it around for all to see, so that some will stare, some will ignore,and some will pass us by as if they didn't even see us. He wants to get us so focused on our past so that we don't see our future! He wants us to forget about the cross that Jesus bore, and take up carrying our own burdens that Jesus already paid the price for. I felt sorry for that man as I drove away, wishing he'd realize that he didn't have to carry that chain anymore. I know it made me realize that I don't have to carry my chains any longer either, what about you? Are you going to lay your chains down at Jesus' feet? He's already paid the price, carried the Cross, shed his blood, bore our sins, and I am so glad he did!
And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called [the place] of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha: Where they crucified him, and two other with him, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst.
 - {John 19:17-18 KJV}

   Jesus loves us so much, that He was wounded for our transgressions, bruised for our iniquities,  and it's by his stripes we are healed.

But he [was] wounded for our transgressions, [he was] bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace [was] upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. - {Isaiah 53:5 KJV}




My friend, are you going to let Satan wrap you up in the guilt and shame of your trangressions? Let Jesus in today.  He will wipe away the guilt and shame, and give you a new perspective on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment