Thursday, November 29, 2012

Greater Things


Greater Things.

My thoughts on this week’s reflection verse.

I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in Me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.” ~ John 14:12 NIV84

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.” ~ John 14:12 KJV

 

WOW. That’s awesome! To do greater things than Jesus? How is that even possible? I have often wondered this same thing myself. I thought it would have be someone who had earned this opportunity with their works. Someone greater than me. So I accepted the mediocre life, and settled in. Average me.

But in reading the Greater Book, by Stephen Furtick, I have realized that this is not so. Oh Satan wants us to embrace the averageness of life. Accept that we can’t be greater than just the average run of the mill individual. He feeds each of lies that our past will go before us, whispers that we aren’t cut from the cloth of greater people. Satan wants us to believe that we can’t be anything more than we already are. But there is power in this verse. Just read it. Let it sink in. Remember, the word of God is alive. It can be a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path if we just chose to pick it up, dust it off, read it, embrace it, let it feed our souls.. It is sharper than a two-edged sword, going before us, to show the way. In the pages of his word, is the way to live a greater life in our walk with him. Oh to do greater things... To live a greater life…  If God is for us, who can be against us?

 I was so engrossed in reading my Greater book that I found myself ahead in chapter 3. I can relate in so many ways and realize that I do have a lesser loser life that I am abolishing. I don't want to be mediocre. I want more. I want more of him (God) and less of me! I want to be greater than just the loser Satan wants me to be. As I sat there reading my book on my lunch time at work(the only time I can have complete aloneness, since I have a crazy busy life), I realized that I allow the circumstances of life to engulf my thinking, my being.. I laughed, I cried, I nodded in agreement.    I am kicking the loser life to the curb and am embracing the greater part of me that God called me to be.

Oh God, help me to be greater in you. Help me to reach those who so desperately need you! We ALL need you. I want to do more than just exist in this life, going thru the motions, pretending to be happy with the mediocrity. Yes, you have moved in mighty ways in my life recently. Then I got complacent. I got comfy. I forgot to see that there is a greater calling than just being me. So today, I chose to embrace the grace and let you move in me, thru me and for me!

 Cynthia Hunter
29 November 2012

 

 

8 comments:

  1. I agree that complacency with our lesser loser life ("hey this isn't SO bad) may be what holds us back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cydnie,
    I am with you girlfriend as we " I am kicking the loser life to the curb and am embracing the greater part of me that God called me to be."
    A tad bit freeing, isn't it!
    Excited to be on this journey with you!
    ~b

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved this and could feel your passion and what the Lord is speaking to you. Praying for you on your Greater journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post. I can total relate-I too feel as though I am going through the motions of life at times. Its almost like I am on the outside watching a really boring life. However, i know God has greater for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! And glad to hear there is someone else who can't find any other time than the lunch break (though I'm taking a little time at the end of the day today). Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cyndie love this post. It is really beautiful. I am loving Greater too but haven't jumped ahead. I keep going back and re-reading and each time I find something I missed. WOW! Thank you for sharing from your heart. I could not have said this better. Debbie W. (OBS Leader)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cynthia what a beautiful blog and a beautiful prayer. Praying for all the participants in this study that same prayer. Debbie Williams (OBS Leader)

    ReplyDelete